Wednesday, October 8, 2008

E=mc^2, Einstein, the Theory of Everything, and You

This is a post of something that I wrote on May 20th, 2008. I emailed it to a few friends, but I wrote it mainly to capture something that I got in my head during while I was sitting in the cockpit. I would imagine that my perspective has changed a bit in the last five months, but I'm posting this exactly as I had it in the email. I might come back to it in the future to see if I can improve on the theory. In the next few weeks I'll dig through my email and post some more of my ramblings.

*************************************************************

Well, I'm at it again. I've been reading, listening to, talking with friends about, and dreaming of all of this stuff for months now. You know the stuff. Tolle. Abraham. Watts. Einstein. Taylor. The Secret. What the Bleep. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Super String Theory. Relativity. At times, it seems there's so much to learn, so little time. But other times, when I get it into the proper perspective (the present moment, right?), I am thankful for how much I know and understand. Yesterday was one of those days. Funny enough, I know that yesterday was a "bad" day for some of you. I wonder if that is random, or if that is, as Abraham would say, intended by ourselves. I know I am recovering from a cold, so I probably brought the cold on, too, right? Maybe I brought the cold on so that I would once again have an "excuse" to stay in my hotel room for 40 hours straight while I dive into more material.

Enough of that, as my emails are already notoriously long. I would like to try to explain something that came to me while I was flying yesterday, something that moved me more than anything I can recall in the last 20 years. I was enroute to Hong Kong from LAX. We had come off break and my flying partner and I got very little rest. He was a bit tired so he decided to, um, meditate for a short while, which was fine with me. I was wide awake (physiologically as well as mentally) and was reading Tolle's "The Power of Now." Specifically, I was on page 84 when I had my epiphany.

I should preface this (as I have a penchant for doing) by mentioning the graphic that I had drawn up about 20 minutes earlier. Something that Jill Bolte Taylor (the neuroanatomist that recounted her own stroke) said has really made me aware of why the left and right halves of the brain do what they do. The left half is responsible for the past and the future. Every memory of the past is stored in the left half of the brain, just like a hard drive stores the digital frames of countless movies. Each day a 24 hour movie in and of itself. At 41 years old, that's about 15,000 movies, which is a lot. But the left half has to store all of the movies that I've projected into the future as well. And while there are probably 15,000 more days ahead, I can imagine quite a few paths that I could take, so I have several movies per day. I know I don't have every day ahead of me mapped out in my brain, but in the upcoming days and weeks and months, I have many different paths that I could be on and I have imagined many of those days, so I'm racking up the hard drive space. Add to that the dreams that I have (most of you know that I'm an avid and often lucid dreamer) and my terabyte drive is reaching capacity. (Think about it, every song that I've ever heard, every movie and television show that I've ever watched is somewhere stored in that left half of my brain, too.)

The right half of my brain is free from all of that. Think about it. NOTHING is taking up the space in there, none of that past, none of that future, none of that imagination and dreaming. Nothing at all. The right half is there only to take in RIGHT NOW. So the right half of the brain has all the room that my ENTIRE PAST, and future, and imagination takes up in the left half. That is a LOT of information that can be utilized EVERY SINGLE MOMENT. Can you even conceive of how much data about THIS MOMENT that I can have in that right half? Amazing.

Well, I wanted to figure out how to convey that idea graphically. So I drew up several drafts on some scrap paper (my departure clearance and my weight and balance data sheet) until I finally came up with a graphic that I think conveys how the left and right half of the brain have the same amount of data, one half containing X information about the past, future, and imagination, the other half containing the exact same X amount of information about ONLY THIS MOMENT. I will get onto Photoshop or Illustrator and come up with the graphic soon, or at the very least I will scan it in and send it to you when I get back stateside.

But that wasn't my epiphany. It was with great satisfaction that I completed the drawing, but it was the connection I made on page 84 that rocked my world. Alas, I must preface again.

In school, I thoroughly enjoyed algebra as a subject. It made a LOT of sense to me, and it seemed to have a lot of practical applications. Geometry was okay, Calc was interesting but beyond the basics it seemed too focused. But algebra was entirely intuitive. So was general physics. Not the astrophysics that I'm enamored with but understand very little, but the basic physics stuff, like mass and velocity and acceleration and the like. I rarely aced these subjects, mostly because I didn't apply myself to them, but I did enjoy them and the enjoyment lingered well past college.

Another thing about my past was my weird, distant affinity for Albert Einstein. I don't know why, but I have always gravitated towards him. I recall having a poster of him in my bedroom for many years around the time I was in late grade school or in middle school. My mom bought me a copy of "Einstein's Dreams," a book that I admittedly did not read back then. But I liked the idea of it. I have constantly been baffled by the Theory of Relativity, and while I can discuss the basic concepts and effects, I have never really understood it enough to explain it to anyone. The reason was, I never really focused on finding the right explanation for me. I just never took the time or effort to do so. (That will change in the very near future, I will assure you.)

This past March, I was really sick, twice. I hadn't been THAT sick in quite some time. There was a five day stretch (over Tristan's Spring Break, BUMMER) where I was literally sick in bed. As I live alone, I was definitely isolated in my bedroom. (Don't worry, when I get sick, I PREFER it that way... lock me up, don't bother me, I will emerge when I'm whole.) It was one of those sicknesses where you just beg for it to be over... ugh! But even in those sicknesses, you still have to endure the day(s), you have do do SOMETHING. I was so weak that I did very little reading, so you know how rotten I must have been feeling. What I did do, however, was watch a ton of videos that I had been downloading over the last year. I don't download very many movies. I have been downloading awesome videos like Cosmos by Carl Sagan (which I do own on DVD). The Universe by The History Channel. 30 hours explaining the Super String Theory. Philosophy videos by Alan Watts, Jack Kornfield, and Joseph Campbell. And all the stuff I could find on video and audio by Tolle, Abraham (Hicks), Dyer, and the Buddhist/Taoist writers. I watched several videos in those five days, but the most notable was a NOVA production called "E=mc^2 - Einstein and the Worlds Most Famous Equation" (Writer/Producer/Director Gary Jonstone was spot on.) It was 102 minutes of outstandingly produced material on how Einstein was able to have his breakthrough moment with E=mc^2. The first half explains, step by step, from E to m to c to squared, how the world of science got him there. Michael Faraday, Antoine LaVoisier (cool dude!), and Emilie du Chatelet each bring a piece of the puzzle to the table, and Einstein is the one who makes the leap and pulls it all together. Amazing. The year was 1905 and Einstein had five major breakthroughs in that year. What a year! I was extremely happy to have watched this video, but I did not then know how much it would affect my thinking.

Clearly, Einstein went on to an illustrious and long career, something that we can all be thankful for. One of the things that Einstein spent his later career on was the quest for The Theory of Everything. Basically, it was said to be a theory that fully explains and links together all known physical phenomena. Several "string" theories are working towards that end. But before there were string theories, Einstein sought out this answer, obviously to no avail.

Wouldn't it be odd if it was right under his nose the whole time? Or, more accurately, behind his eyes? What would the irony be if Einstein spent his later career seeking out The Theory of Everything, never to be satisfied, and yet HE was the one who came up with the equation? Wouldn't it be fitting that the answer would be nothing less than E=mc^2, the equation that made him famous in his first year on the international scene?

I propose that that is exactly the case. E=mc^2 can be used to prove that we are, and everything else in the universe, physical and not, manifested and unimaginable, are all one in the same. After all, if that is the case, it would answer something even broader scoped than the original Theory of Everything, and that would be even more impressive.

Alright, to get to the answer, you're going to have to be able to follow some very basic algebra (see, I didn't ramble on about my juvenile fascination with algebra for nothing.) But it's much easier than the Theory of Relativity, and it's much shorter than the email that you've read so far, so you might as well go the distance with me. Trust me, it'll be worth it. Just the notion that I could possibly conceive of the idea has brought me to tears twice in the last 24 hours, so indulge me a few more minutes.

Okay, so let's break down E=mc^2 a little bit so we can use some of the inner workings. First of all, you should know what the parts of the equation mean.

· E = energy,
· m = mass,
· c = the speed of light in a vacuum (celeritas),
· and the superscript 2 indicates the squaring of c.

For a detailed explanation of what the equation means, you can visit the Wikipedia page on the equation. Basically, it means that mass has an associated energy and vice versa. The equation is utilized in his Theory of Special Relativity. Honestly, you don't even need to know that to get what I'm about to explain to you.

What you do need to know is that c, the speed of light, is basically velocity. It's just a very specific velocity. But for my explanation, we can use v instead of c, as the value really doesn't matter, just the variable. So we can now write it E=mv^2, or Energy equals mass time velocity squared.

Velocity, v, is the same thing as distance divided by time. Think about your car. Your velocity is your speed, or your miles per hour. Miles per hour means distance (miles) divided by time (hour). So v can also be written as (d/t). So we can now write the equation as E=m(d/t)^2, or Energy equals mass times the square of distance divided by time. With me so far? We're almost there.

Now, look at time. Since it is on the bottom of the fraction, it is called the denominator. When a denominator is very large, the fraction is very small. Clearly, 1/2 is much bigger than 1/100, right? Because if I divide 1 by 2, I get 0.5, but if I divide 1 by 100, I get 0.01, right? So the bigger the number on the bottom, the SMALLER the whole fraction is. Make sense? It should, that's not too hard I don't think.

Now, if a bigger number on the bottom makes the value of the fraction smaller, logically a smaller number on the bottom would make the value of the fraction... bigger. Right? This is really important to understand here, because this is one half of the crux of the epiphany, so you really gotta get this idea. If I divide 1 by 2 (or 1/2) I get 0.5, but if I divide 1/0.2, I get 5. Do you clearly see that? And if I were to divide 1 by 0.002, or 1/0.002, I would get 500. If this isn't making sense to you, pull up your calculator on your computer and just try a few division problems until it makes sense. Just a few examples will make it clear to you.

So looking at our equation, if E=m(d/t)^2, if t is really small, that makes the value of the fraction very large. And since E is equal to the fraction times the mass, E also gets very large. As t gets smaller and smaller, E gets larger and larger. As t approaches zero, E approaches infinity.

Okay, so now here's where we really get into the meat of things. I'm going to switch from physics and algebra to philosophy. (Thank you Alan Watts.) Remember a long time ago, in the beginning of my email, when I mentioned Jill Bolte Taylor? In her presentation to TED, she gave a brief yet powerful explanation about how we are all energy beings. This isn't theory, this isn't spirituality, we are truly all made up of 100% energy. I will spare you the quantum mechanics explanation (What, me spare you any detail? Ha!) Basically, we're all made up of atoms, which are made up of electrons, protons, and neutrons (and those are made up of things, too). But the distance between the electron orbit from the nucleus is proportionately massive, so much so that we are basically almost all empty space. Like a tree appears solid but is said, by golfers, to be 99% air, we, too, are pretty much nothing, and the something that we are made up of is energy. Everything in the universe is made up of the same stuff... energy. Again, this isn't something I think or believe, it is just plain fact. (Or as factual as anything can be in this reality, but I'll spare you an ontological digression.)

So now we are all on the same sheet of music with us being energy beings, or basically E. We're just one step away from having all the pieces of the puzzle.

This last piece is where you might need some understanding of the current discussions of presence and awareness. I think most of you are familiar with the ideas that are being discussed, at least you are close enough to someone that IS very familiar with the ideas so you might at least grasp the basics. While each teacher and subject matter expert has a different focus and different way of explaining it, almost all of them come down to the concept of the present moment. THIS EXACT MOMENT. Not the past, not the future, not ten minutes ago, not at dinner coming up in a few hours, not one minute away, but RIGHT.NOW...NOW...........NOW..........................NOW.

What you're doing is getting out of the left brain, getting it to shut up for one damn second, or minute, or more, and letting you get into the right half of your brain. And if you can just get in there and STOP your left brain from running off at the mouth (just like I run off at the fingers) for just one second, you can experience what it is like to absorb all the information that your left brain has stored up from the past and future and let your right brain take THAT SAME AMOUNT OF DATA in at this VERY MOMENT. ALL AT ONCE!

Can you conceive of what it would be like to just consider this very moment at all? If you can, how immediate of a moment can you get yourself into? Can you get into this very second? What about a half of a second? I'm not saying to get into your right brain, into Level 2, into your Presence (and out of you Ego) for just a half of a second. What I'm saying is to be totally present and absorb EVERYTHING THAT YOU CAN in that brief half second. If you try to take it in chunks of a second or two, you are trying to fit too much data into your right half of your brain, and you have to leave too much information out. You don't want to leave ANYTHING OUT so try to absorb as much data as possible in that very brief moment. Shave the chunks down, down to a tenth of a second down to a hundredth of a second at a time. Going from tenth of a second chunks down to hundredth of a second chunks allows you to take in TEN TIMES MORE of everything. (And when I say "everything," I do mean EVERYTHING, as in the Universe.) Ideally, you would bring the chunks down to nanoseconds at a time, being aware of ALL that information nanosecond by fraction of a nanosecond, and the more narrow the chunks, the MORE information you can take in at once.

I will admit, either you are with me here or I lost you. I sucker punched you, didn't I. I had you thinking that the algebra (gasp) and the physics (ick) were going to be the hard part. But it wasn't really, now was it? But the philosophical stuff, the fuzzy stuff, the degree that everyone laughs at, THAT was the real bitch, now wasn't it? Well, as Cypher would put it, fasten your seat belt Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye.

Let's get back to our equation. E=mc^2=mv^2=m(d/t)^2, right? E=Energy. We are energy beings. We ARE E. Remember our friend t? (LOL, Eckhart would say that t, time, is our enemy, a tool for the ego.) We learned that if t, the denominator, gets really small, E get's really big. As t approaches zero, E approaches infinity. Infinity=Universe, right? So if we can get our t down to almost zero, if we can slow time down to almost nothing, chunks of almost no time after chunk of no time, E gets to be infinity.

I propose that if we can slow our time down to almost absolute zero, our energy would approach that of the universe. If you can make the leap and be entirely aware in the most negligible fraction of time, you will realize that we are all one in the same, we are all the energy of the Universe.

That is an idea I think is worth spreading.

Sean

3 comments:

NikkiBliss said...

Hold up Parker!
But let’s say my existence continues past my physical form into a dimension that may not use a clumsy measurement known as “distance” and distance does not have meaning or value, thus, d=0. And now (no pun intended) that the numerator is 0, the denominator could be any number, large or infinitesimal…the sum will equal 0. Likewise anything multiplied by 0 is 0.
E=m(0/10minutes)^2
Now (again no pun…)E equals zero. I am equal to zero.

When examined closely, zero turns out to be quite the character. For example: zero is an ordinal number indicating an initial point or origin; we adjust (an instrument or apparatus) to a zero point or to an arbitrary reading from which all other readings are to be measured. (Holy smokes, 0 is the place from which *all* things measured! Sounds like the ego cooked that one up.)

So, I don’t know that we have to mess with time at all. If your and my existence, essence, spirit (aka Level 2) is not akin to body-form than it cannot be measured with distance or time for that matter.

I=0 And I am 0k with that!

Sean Brown said...

Ah, my friend formerly known as Ali, you bring up a good point. I fully believe that we extend into a dimension that does not include either time nor space. But we are using an equation of this dimension that does rely on some relationship between time and space, no matter how relative it may be.

To the people who consider this as the only "real dimension," I am trying to prove them of their own divinity. To do so, I'm using the equation as a yet-to-be-disproven tool of this dimension. Kind of a "When in Rome..." thing.

So in a world bound by time and space, reducing time to almost zero brings them closer to God, closer to the divinity within themselves.

But you bring up a very interesting point using those terms and your observation of reducing distance to zero. Most of the monothiestic religions look to God as being outside of you, existing on a level above you. But the comtemplative crowd has realized, and Jesus taught, that divinity comes from within; God is IN us, not outside of us.

So, using your d=0 approach, the smaller we can make d, the closer it is to us. As d approaches 0 it signifies getting closer to the core of our being.

This is like the moment the Big Bang first happened, where everything was condensed and there was theroetically next to zero distance across the entire universe.

Consider black holes, things that are so dense that their gravity sucks in everytyhing including LIGHT. But the Big Bang, or the reverse of the Big Bang where the universe collapses back in on itself, is like the ultimate black hole, condensing the entire energy of the universe into one point.

If we were to maintain E as a constant value to contain all the energy in the universe, and if mass, too, was assumed to be a finite number (which is not hard to imagine), reducing d to almost zero would be exactly like collapsing the universe back in on itself, the reverse Big Bang.

By that rationale, if you could reduce the distance of God, everyting in the universe manifested and unmanifested, and you down to almost zero, your core would posess all the energy and power of the universe itself. And that is a rather empowering concept I must say.

Nice observation, Nikki!

pinky said...

good attempt