Monday, October 13, 2008

Essential Teachings & Resources

I admit it. I'm a consciousness junkie. Since my awakening late last year, I have had an insatiable appetite for both the academics of the topic as well as the experiential high I get when I elevate my consciousness. Early in my quest, however, I realized that the resources are not very well organized. It's kind of a big puzzle and the puzzle is growing as more and more authors put out book after book.

What I'd like to know is what book, movie, audio collection, or teaching system has been pivotal in your growth? I'd be interested in hearing about every influence that you feel might help other members along their path.

Just to save everyone typing the same thing, it is pretty clear that Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth" are essential reading, so you don't have to mention those two. But if you have listened to one of his audio or video resources and found it to be effective, please definitely mention that.

I'm constantly posting this kind of info, but here's a few "Can't Miss" from my list. A few have affected me when I read them, but are not on my can't miss because I have come across other material that I would cite as more significant or effective. (For example, James Redfield's "The Celestine Prophecy" was exactly what I needed to read at the time I read it, but it's not a "must read" if you are already onto the Tolle road.)

Alan Watts: Out of Your Mind (12 CDs)
This was the most significant work that affected my pre-awakening personal paradigm. Alan almost seduces you into understanding nondualism and then making it part of your own paradigm. His British accent and pleasantly applied charm present a very entertaining explanation of nondualism through mostly Buddhist and Taoist filters. The first six CDs are critical in understanding his topic. The second CDs are a practical explanation of Buddhism, Taoism, and some Hinduism, still they contain many Wattsian nuggets and shouldn't be missed.

Richard Moss: The Mandala of Being
This is the best consciousness reading that I've encountered since I came across Eckhart. Similarly, their concepts are very compatible and very close in nature. I suppose that one could say that their paradigms have great overlap. The book does a good job explaining the basics, preparing you for the deeper work. He then provides you with a tool that will help you get into the Now more often, longer, and deeper. If you want to tweak the high you get from truly being in the moment, this tool is an excellent technique. Richard describes the various stages of awakening and then shows the path of what it will likely be like in the subsequent stages. He has described my experience very well so far, so I feel I trust that the next stages will be as he describes, and that's comforting. As you might guess, I strongly recommend this book.

A Cource In Miracles (ACIM) (Foundation for Inner Peace)
I have not read very much of the entire collection of three books, which is the case for the majority of those that would say they have an interest in ACIM. Likewise, I have read several of the books that describe the ACIM concepts. Ken Wapnick, Robert Perry, and Gary Renard are three pretty renowned authors in the field. This perspective provides a one-step-away view of the course, and it also provides opportunities to hear several opinions of how the massive text could be interpreted. The overall concept in ACIM is total nondualism. The source of the text and the way it was documented is somewhat controversial, but that does not matter as to the validity of the course. The material in the course is a very sound explanation of one's view on reality and offers an answer as to why we are here in this life. I find the ACIM community to be very awake and wide open to ideas to further their quest for the truth. I recommend you find a local ACIM meeting group, as the Level 2 conversation there is outstanding.

I have a lot more favorite works to pass on, but these are the three that I would consider indispensable to my path. Your path might be different than mine, but for me, they are just what the doctor ordered.

So, what are your favorites, the ones that impacted you the most? Even if you just throw up the name of the material and the author, I'd like to know.

Sean

No comments: